Organ transplantation is one of the most successful advances in modern medicine. For patients with end stage diseases, transplantation most often provides them a chance for survival. Organ transplantation save lives in patients affected by terminal organ failure and improves quality of life.
Organ transplants have SHOWN GOOD RESULTS in the last two decades DUE TO IMPROVEMENTS IN SURGICAL TECHNIQUE, IMMUNOSUPPRESSION & usually provide excellent long-term outcomes in adult and pediatric patients. 3 year Survival after liver transplant is usually 70-75%.
Alexis Multispecialty Hospital experts perform deceased donor liver transplants and living liver and kidney transplants. We also carry out comprehensive management of acute liver failure and comprehensive management of chronic liver diseases.
Why Do You Need a Liver Transplant?
- Your doctor has suggested that you may need a liver transplant. To understand why, it is important to know how the liver works. The liver is the largest solid organ in your body. The liver has many functions, all are important to support life and health. The liver:
- builds special proteins to prevent bleeding
- filters blood and helps fight infection
- makes bile to break down fats from food
- builds sugar, stores sugar, and releases sugar for energy
- stores vitamins and minerals
- helps to break down proteins in the food you eat
- sends hormones to other organs in the body
What are the types of liver damaging diseases?
Many diseases may lead to liver failure:
- Viral Hepatitis: Hepatitis B or C
- Alcoholic Hepatitis
- Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis [N.A.S.H.]
- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis [P.B.C.]
- Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis [P.S.C.]
- Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency
- Drug-induced Hepatitis
- Budd Chiari Syndrome
- Congenital Fibrotic Disease
- Cryptogenic Cirrhosis
- Polycystic Liver Disease
- Wilson's Disease
In addition to liver failure, liver cancer may develop as a result of many of these diseases. There are many cases of sudden liver failure with unknown causes, necessitating emergency liver transplant. Earlier, patients had to travel to the metros to get a transplant, but now can avail of cutting-edge treatment here in Alexis, Nagpur itself.
Why You Need a Kidney Transplant?
- Better quality of life. Patients need not spend hours each week getting dialysis, and they're more likely to go back to work.
- Fewer limits on their diet
- Fewer long-term health problems from the transplant than people on dialysis
- More energy
When does a disease damage your Kidney?
- Chronic, uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Chronic glomerulonephritis - an inflammation and eventual scarring of the tiny filters within your kidneys (glomeruli)
- Polycystic kidney disease
Transplant related services offered at Alexis:
- Deceased donor liver transplant
- Living donor liver transplant
- Combined liver and kidney deceased donor transplant
- Comprehensive management of acute liver failure
- Comprehensive management of chronic liver disease